.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

It Happened Again!

Two weeks ago, in a food court somewhere, some talented singers reminded hundreds of unsuspecting shoppers of the true meaning of Christmas.
.


 A few weeks prior to this event, even more singers shared the Messiah message in a Philadelphia Macy's. My first response to each event was a glassy-eyed astonishment of this "foretaste of glory divine."

The concept of spontaneous "musicals productions" in odd places has been around for while. Previous clips have been humorous pranks. Here's another one in a similar food court. And here is one in the fruit section of a grocery store. Funny, yes, but those staged events, and the reactions of the onlookers, is quite different than what happens when people hear the Hallelujah Chorus in an otherwise earthly, pedestrian setting.

I've seen Handel's work performed in temples and auditoriums before thousands of believers gathered to worship and enjoy, but never have the words been more powerful to me than in these clips when throngs seem compelled by shear truth, unable to hold their tongues, and begin proclaiming the joy of the Messiah's rightful rule in the world He created. 7550
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
The kingdom of this world
Is become the kingdom of our Lord,
And of His Christ, and of His Christ;
And He shall reign for ever and ever...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful Tom. The looks on people faces when the woman on the cell phone was singing the high note solo at the beginning was priceless. I must have missed the Macy's story in Philadelphia somehow. That used to the anchor store for John Wanamaker's where there is a huge pipe organ from the St Louis Wolrd's fair of the late 19th century. Every year they would have a Christmas celebration there with hourly serenades on the oragn with a maginficent Christmas display, long before there laser light shows and all that technical stuff. Let me be the first to say it here on your blog. Merry Christmas!!

3/12/10 4:45 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

JG,
Soooooo good to hear from you. I have missed my days in the blogosphere. Life is like that sometimes. Almost no time for personal writing or reading right now, but it was nice of you to come by.

I wondered how they got that organ in Macy's thanks for the information. So that organ is from the St. Louis World's Fair which is at the heart of the plot of "Meet Me in St.Louis." I had no idea.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

3/12/10 7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just popped in and clicked on the video (once again). It isn't the first time I've seen it this holiday season and it *still* makes me weep when I listen to it. Not sure why some songs move me so much but it happens. Another is Mark Lowery's "Mary Did You Know". Merriest of Christmas' to you and your family!!!
WSL

11/12/10 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter