.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Pioneer

I was a stranger in a strange place yet not lost,
already his words, machete-sharp, had cleared my mind.
Then as the clamorous praise was done, this song began...
and I wept in the dark hoping no one saw...


6089
Pioneer, Pioneer
Keep pressing onwards beyond your fears
And only your Father goes before you to your own frontier
Youʼre a Pioneer
 Uncharted wilderness stretches before you
And you thrive on going where no one has gone
Still it gets lonely when darkness rears
So sing by the fire until the dawn
[Chorus]
You travel light and you travel alone
And when you arrive nobody knows
But your Father in heaven, He is glad you can go
Cause those who come after you will need the road
[Chorus]
And what you have done, others will do
Bigger and better and faster than you
But you canʼt look back, you gotta keep on pressing through
Thereʼs a wilderness pathway and itʼs calling you
 Calling you, calling you
Keep pressing onwards beyond your fears
And only your Father goes before you to your own frontier
Youʼre a Pioneer

Written by Nancy Honeytree Miller

3 Comments:

Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I was four hours from home visiting a church with my sister on our way to go see my uncle (Mom's brother) who had been in the hospital for two weeks. The church auditorium was actually a large gymnasium much like our own, with darkened lighting to hide the weekday use.

What I didn't know was that Rick Pino and his band were guests worship leaders in a two-hour praise service. Interlaced in the music were "sermon thoughts" which were very timely and appropriate. This all came days after selling the house and land that we had "settled" like pioneers, which made the imagery vivid, but to be honest... the song hit home at a much deeper level.

I had never heard of Rick Pino or this song, but something tells me, it will become a signature song of his. I know I'll never forget the first time I heard it.

3/10/10 8:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I kinda thought this was where you were headed as I listened to the song and read the words. What a blessing for you on a day that you definitely needed on! Thanks for sharing, you Pioneer you!

4/10/10 10:20 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Hi, Nancy,
It's funny how there are moments in life that seem like a nostalgic "photomontage" in your mind. I'm sure this happens more the older one gets. The person who wrote this song and the guy who sang it would have no way of knowing how it would hit me so hard on that particular Sunday morning. (I had just left "the property" that morning on my way to that church.) Funny thing was, it hit many others in the auditorium at an emotional level. The deeper meaning of the song clearly goes far beyond its simple metaphor.

Thanks for getting caught up and for leaving some comments.

8/10/10 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter