.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Something About a Child's Voice

My daughter Natalie was playing Christmas music at the piano tonight, including the song called "Lucy and Linus" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas." That song is harder to play than its simple notes suggest. The rythym of the left hand is quite different from the right, but she was getting it. That song always makes me smile.

Sitting there in the room behind her, it occurred to me that we will be seeing that Christmas special soon. I love the part where Linus recites the story of Christ's birth from memory (in King James English), and then at the end he turns to his friend and says, "And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

There is something about a child's voice telling a wonderful story. Enjoy the following recitation.


7131
I am assuming that the three kids behind this little girl still have to get up and do their part of the program. They seem to be in another world--probably thinking, "Why didn't we save this kid for last. She's killin' us. Please just let us go back to our seats when she is done. I can't even remember how my story starts." 

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Too cute...she reminds me of Shirley Temple! I agree with your thoughts on the kids behind her...too funny!

20/11/10 12:49 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nancy,
I think the girl's mother is behind her. You can see her arms reach up after "the end." I do see the resemblance to S.T.

20/11/10 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter