.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 4: Cabo San Lucas

We spent all of Monday in the surf. It began with a glass-bottom boat ride to the cape ("cabo" means cape--that makes sense) which is the end of the southern tip of the Baha Peninsula which is also the point where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez (sometimes called the Gulf of California). On the tour we saw some pelicans, sea lions and flying sting rays. (I've seen dolphin leap out of the water, but I did not know that sting rays take to the air as well.)

We also took east and west photographs of the landmark arch at the cape. After the boat tour, we did some snorkeling and beach hiking along the cliffs. (Yes, that is a yellow submarine in the background of photo #1. Double-click to enlarge.)

By the end of the day we had supper at a great Japanese restaurant here at RIU, and ended the night with a stroll along the beach. If you double-click the photo of Julie and me, you'll see that she is watching out for big waves from the corner of her eye. There seems to a rhythm of big waves followed by unexpected enormous waves, and one never knows when the huge waves will rush up the beach and knock you down. I had been wave running earlier in the afternoon, but the waves were not as big as that 18' curl I caught at sunset. That is by far the biggest wave I have ever seen up close in my life. My brother-in-law Tony had to out run this slightly smaller wave a few moments later.
I highly recommend this place!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! If I were to have a bucket list...Cabo would be on it as I've always wanted to go there!!! Mexico is a fav spot of ours (though it is Puerto Villarta..we've only been there 2x). What a blessing for you to be "gifted" this! LOVE your photos! I don't stop by your blog as I used to--mostly due to LIFE being busier, now in retirement! LOL My husband has a cousin who "winters" on The Gulf of Cortez..not sure if it's near Cabo or not. They then come up to the midwest in the summer months.

You spoke of Canadians being there! I think they ALL go south to many spots as we've encountered them as well. Here in The Villages are many as well. I would leave too given the weather they must have.

Well have a great time relaxing and rejuvenating in the sun!
WSL

25/7/12 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks,WSL
Tonight is our last night. It has truly been wonderful, but life calls us home.

You probablly know this, but you know our Nitty-gritty friend and her family (through whom we met those many blogging years ago) has moved back to MN--the other side of the Wisconsin sandwich for whom we called you WSL in the first place.

Thanks for sharing here.
Tom

26/7/12 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter