.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, April 08, 2012

The Only Place for Emptiness at Easter

There should be nothing hollow about Easter; nothing that suggests things are not as they appear. There can be no Oz behind the curtain. No smoke and mirrors--even in the name of Christ. The Good News should never be all hat and no cattle as Texans say when someone is all show and no substance. Easter cannot be a gig, an act, a high cathedral chant or even humble preaching to the choir.  

Easter must proclaim the answer to the question Pontius Pilate asked while it stared him in the face:
 “What is Truth?

The only place for emptiness at Easter… is the tomb.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There should be nothing hollow about Easter; nothing that suggests things are not as they appear." Semicolons connect equal grammatical units. The first clause here is an independent clause; the second is a dependent clause. See what I just did? Connected two independent clauses with a semicolon.

10/4/12 8:10 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Your critique is correct. Thank you for adding more meaning to these Easter thoughts about hollowness.

17/4/12 9:09 PM  
Blogger JeannetteLS said...

Tom, I cannot add a thing to the comment about Anonymous's. That first comment shot thought out of me a moment, then I went back to read again.

Whether or not my faith is where yours is, it was one of the most moving passages about Easter I have read in a long while. The picture is perfectly in tune with your words.

Wait a moment; I must be sure my semicolon is well-placed.

or not.

28/4/12 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter