.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Campfires, Kayaks, and Candids

This weekend we went camping up on the White River with friends. Between the campfires and a couple kayak runs down the river, I put together some candid footage from the morning of Kim's wedding. My brother Dave shot the actual wedding video, but he had to work that Friday and asked if I could gather some candids during the hours he was in route. Being preoccupied during the pre-wedding hours helped keep my mind busy and less prone to the weight of symbols and sentiment around me.

The last time we were all there at that church was for Emily's wedding. Kim's Grandma Kapanka (my mom) was there, too. This time her dress was there. Kim had it remade for her special day.

Gathering the moods and dialogue from behind a camera reminded me of my old Heritage Video days, a business I had many years ago. The main difference between that "analog" era and the digital age is that I could not have done this editing in a couple hours at a campground on a laptop in the old days. I was glad to see Dave arrive (which happened right at the end of these shots).



At 1:30 minute mark, Kim asks me to "floss" her necklace. By that she meant for me to take a a few fibers pulled from a piece of dental floss and tie her necklace so it would be two inches shorter than the clasp-length--an old trick we did when she was a little girl. It was harder than it used to be--the eyes aren't what they used to be--but I finally got it tied.

It had rained the morning of the wedding so Kim had to lift the train of the satin gown everytime she went outside.

[The background song is called "Madonna Lullaby" by Danny Wright (1995).]
14,849/950TuPM15,050thpm15,261-7-7

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I loved it, Dad!

27/6/11 5:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Anniversary, Dad!!! Love you!

28/6/11 7:00 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Kim,
Glad you liked the video. It was fun to work on beside the campfire and fun to "relive" your beautiful day.
Thanks, too, for remembering that today is our 31st Wedding Anniversary. We will celebrate it on another day--today was very busy! But it has been a joy to work with your mother as a partner in school stuff all these years and today was no exception.
Love you, too!
Dad

28/6/11 8:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

It was lovely to see your comment on my blog. I have not been visiting many blogs lately, but I like to "catch up" every once in a while.

My goodness, all your little girls are growing up...! And gorgeous too. :-)

Happy belated Anniversary.

Cheers!

Jo

29/6/11 1:32 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Jo,
How are things in Vancouver? I miss the pre-facebook era of blogging when comment sections were more active in a social way. I'm afraid I have been even less frequent in the cyberhood than you (and I'm not even on Facebook, just less personal time this year). Thanks for stopping by.

29/6/11 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I love the location of the footage. I was so impressed with your quality of work. You have a great talent in photography and video. I also enjoy watching the video. :D

25/12/11 9:09 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Melissa,
Sorry I did not see this until late February 2012. Thank you for dropping by and that is high praise coming from such a talented photographer.

28/2/12 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter