.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Two Weeks Ago Today...

Two weeks ago today was Kim and Nate's wedding. The days since then have been filled with all the things that were put on hold in the weeks before the wedding, but I did say I would post some pictures so here are some informal shots.
As Kim was getting ready to leave for the church, she called out for one last "Dad can you fix this" moment. The pearl necklace was about two inches too long, and she needed me to "reduce" it by tying the back with...what else... a fine stran of dental floss. I had done that for her with one of her first necklaces many years ago. Worked great and no one even noticed.




These are not the "real" wedding pictures. All but the first one were taken by Natalie. This first picture at the top tells the story of Kim's wedding dress. She shopped and shopped all over West Michigan for months and just didn't find the "right" dress. Then several months ago, her Aunt Kathy showed her my mother's wedding dress, worn sixty years ago in February 1951.

It had been kept neatly folded in a cedar chest up in Mom's attic all those years. Kim tried it on, saw the train, touched the satin, and felt the significance of the fact that it fit so well. With the family's blessing, she removed the sleeves and added some other details for a look more suited to June.

The last time we were in that very church just four years ago for Emily's wedding, mom was there, and I must admit that seeing Kim in her dress as the day unfolded was a gift from Kim to the entire family. When you see the video (and I'll try to post clips here in the weeks ahead), you'll see what a truly joyous and laughter-filled event it was from beginning to end. 
Nate and Kim exited from the church in a blizzard of bubbles, blown by the guests on both sides, and then stepped in to a classic Jaguar provided by some friends.
The reception was in an outdoor tent at Oak Ridge Golf Course a short drive from the church.

I saw Natalie taking this last picture at the reception. She really has an eye for interesting shots.


I may post more photos or some video clips when they become available. Last weekend, we went to Chicago to deliver wedding presents. It was great to see the newlyweds in their northside flat. A big thank you to all who made this a beautiful day and who helped "feather the nest" they are now enjoying.
4747_847M1pm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steven said...

I admire this kind of event. Specially when you see the groom and the bride vows each other for there love with sincerity in their eyes. This could means a lot between the couple.

12/2/12 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter