.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kim and Nate Graduated from College Saturday

This was Moody's 125th Graduating Class, the largest in the school's history.



Nate and Kim marched together in May 2011. Her sister Emily and her husband Keith marched together in May 2008. And Julie and I marched together back in 1980 (me with my Masters and Julie with her Bachelor's).  Kim was basically done with her TESOL degree [Teaching English to Students of Other Languages] in December, when she was hired by an organization called World Relief there in Chicago. She spends her days with adults from all over the world, helping them adjust to life in the United States.



They don't call it the windy city for nothing. When we left West Michigan Friday afternoon, it was in the mid-seventies and all sunshine. I put on some shorts and we hit the road. Julie and I didn't even take jackets. Big mistake! The temperature dropped twenty degrees in three hours. And not long after these pictures were taken, it began to rain. We did have an umbrella in the car, but it didn't do much to keep us warm as we walked the streets of Chicago.

Kim is a pretty spontaneous girl. After taking the second picture above, we ran across the street from the historic Moody church in downtown Chicago where commencement was held, and she says, "Dad, how 'bout takin' a picture of Nate sweeping me off my feet!"

You may remember this couple from their engagement post last August.

The next pictures I post of this couple will likely be from their wedding, which is only twenty-five days away!

Besides this wonderful graduation celebration, the coolest thing about this trip was meeting Nates parents who are missionaries to Guatemala. We had met his mother, Brenda, back in the fall, but met his father, Randy, just Friday night as we were unpacking things from the car. It was fun visiting with them, sharing a few meals together, and getting to know each other better before the wedding. After just a couple days with his folks, I can see why Nate is such a great guy. Looking forward to the big day!

Lot's going on between now and then, though. One big event after another every weekend right up until the wedding on June 10th. 

I hope to post a Youtube video from Natalie's piano recital later this week.
Stay tuned....
12500 586_5-17PM sat/2812715

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

It's me just catching up on POI! It looks like you have an exciting few weeks ahead of you. I loved the video from Calvary with lots of hands on teaching going on...I'm sure you are proud of your staff and the students. Let me know if you get on Facebook, as you know that's where I spend my time instead of blogging. It was fun to catch up a little. Blessings to you and your family.

21/5/11 8:55 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nancy,
This has been such a busy year for us that I almost forgot about the preFacebook days when the comments section was like a social network. Thanks so much for stopping by. Yep, crazy busy in the weeks ahead. We are in Florida with our seniors right now.

21/5/11 11:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Enjoy your senior trip. I know it is always a special time for you and your wife to make memories before they graduate. We graduated our Tot Learning Center (TLC) preschool class last night. It was the 25th graduating class. The first class was the year I started the Christian preschool and my son Ben was in that first class. I'm delighted to spend a lot of my time there now as Chairman of the Board. Blessing to you, your family, and your seniors.

25/5/11 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter