.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Natalie's "Clair de Lune" by Debussy

I mentioned that these are busy weeks--especially busy weekends, one after the other until the wedding. And I told you I’d try to have Natalie’s recital piece posted this week. Well, I’m late by an hour and 23 minutes (as this is technically very early Monday morning).

I had filmed Natalie as she rehearsed the piece an hour before the recital and then I recorded the recital itself, but from where I was seated, I could not see her hands, so I decided to practice with some video-editing software to see if I could blend the actual recital footage with some of the other angles I took during the rehearsal. It’s a little rough, but it’ll do. I have been fond of Debussy’s "Clair de Lune.” since first hearing a friend play it in college.

I wanted to blend a few different camera angles to help capture the various moods of the piece. The trick was synchronizing the finger movement from the various takes to match one track of music. I should probably have just uploaded the recital version itself, which was nearly flawless, but I had to use the take with the most actual footage of hands. I am really not as experienced with this editing software as Nat is with the song itself.

Good job, Natalie! Thank you, Mrs. Strattan, for helping Nat foster a love of music and true joy in keeping company with a piano.

Natalie, I can’t wait to get our piano back from the shop this Friday so I can pull back the lever on the recliner and listen to you play this again. The piano has been out of the house for over two months. I went by the refinishing shop three days ago to see how it was coming. Once I get an adapter for the mini-memory card in my cell phone, I’ll upload some pictures of the refinished but still disassembled Acrosonic below this video clip. In the meantime, enjoy this rendition of “Clair de Lune.”


12774/882-tPM/933-wPM/13000fPM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very beautiful piece!!! Wasn't this a theme for the movie "Laura" back in the day??
You must be very proud of her and her ability!!!
WSL

23/5/11 8:54 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

WSL,
So nice of you to stop by. We enjoy hearing her play. I enjoy it most of all when she enjoys it most--which is not at recitals but at home in our living room.
Hey, guess where Julie and I are right now with our school's Senior Class? Hint... you live here--at least in this state. We're in Orlando.

23/5/11 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"IF" you drove down...then you passed us on the "I"!!! We're just south of Ocala by about 30 minutes or so. Signs...say "The Villages"...that's our new home! We made the Sunday Morning program yesterday on CBS---a piece about the fancy golf-carts some people can throw their big bucks on (not us!!!). Hope you have an enjoyable time with the Seniors!!!
WSL

23/5/11 8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bravo Natalee. You did a great job. You even rose above your circumstances and performed the piece without the luxury of having a piano readily available to you. Congratulations on a job well done.

23/5/11 8:51 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

WSL,
We flew into Orlando, but I've heard of "The Villages." The kids are enjoying Florida.

Lucile,
Thanks for the encouraging word. She will see it and know what it means from the music teacher she never got to have at WRBA.

23/5/11 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie, that was beautiful. I just can not get over how grown up you are. You are just as beautiful as the masterpiece you played. Love, Debby Ferguson

30/5/11 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter