.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Sneak Previews of Our Thailand Trip

[I know, I know. I’ve not yet posted the final installment of “Words Fitly Spoken” [a study of this year's political rhetoric through the lens of Aristotle’s elements of persuasion]. That post is in the "draft" hopper, but I’ve had my mind on completing a major project in the next several days. Thanks for your patience.]

As most of you will recall, I was asked to accompany a medical missions team to Thailand this past January in order to make a documentary of the work this team has been doing for ten years with the hill tribes of the Chiang Rai Province in extreme northern Thailand—in what’s called the “Golden Triangle[known for its opium trade] between Burma [Myanmar], China, and Laos.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had been working on the initial video presentation, and that additional work was still ahead. Well, this week I've spent my evenings beginning that additional work with hopes of completing it over Spring Break [next week]. I also said that I'd eventually link video clips of that trip to my blog.

Doing this required branching out of our comfortable blogosphere to set up a Youtube channel. It took a while, but I figured it out last week. Since the two sites will often work in tandem, I used the same name. Please check out (and bookmark) Patterns of Ink on Youtube.

I wish I could upload higher "image" quality. These are grainy facsimiles of the actual high-def footage, but you'll get the idea. Shortened versions of Part I (8 min.) and Part II (7 min.) of the initial presentation are below this post, but it may be easier to watch them from the POI Youtube page (where you can click on "ABOUT THIS VIDEO" for details about each clip.The Youtube site will also have other clips as I get them done.)
.
"The Hill Tribes: A Timeless Mission" Part I
.


(Double-click on the arrow in the center of the screen. Stop or replay clips on this page by hitting the "refresh" button, or watch this and other clips at Patterns of Ink on Youtube.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing Tom and for letting me know that you had some of the project ready for us.

Is that your voice? It matches what I anticipated it would sound like. Isn't that strange? A voice in my head from a person that you I never met in "in person"... another mystery of the mind from the blogging world.

I loved the clinic in action. How about those teeth??!! And the building of the "woven" hut will interest my husband, who builds houses. I can't wait to share with him.

The music and your voice were so soothing. How do you do that? It reminds me of your poetry.

You are a very talented man. And how special that you are using your God given talents for His glory!

I look forward to more and too catching up on on your blogs that I missed. How can retirement be this hectic?

4/4/08 2:26 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

This looks like a great project. I watched the first video and plan on looking at one a day for the next few days. Thanks for sharing.
Just an aside my grandmother had a pedal sewing machine like the lady in the video.

4/4/08 4:58 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nancy,
Yes, that's my voice. Until you mentioned it, I never thought about the fact that most readers have never heard my voice. I'm glad I sound like me. =)
I know what you mean,
I've been listening to a GR radio station for years--same two guys each morning. I saw their picture on the station website but I don't know which face is which voice.

You may want to watch the other video that includes the "medical" details (i.e. blood) that I edited out of Part II.

I just scribbled the naration down on a legal pad and started reading it, but I must admit... I was very moved by the quiet welcome those Lahu people showed me and to me that hut is as beautiful in its own way as the Novotel Hotel was in Bangkok... so I guess that came through.

Dr. John,
That's a good way to do it. One day at a time. You can comment on Youtube as well if you like since some of those videos aren't posted here. More to come. I'm working on them as I speak (type).

4/4/08 9:44 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nancy,
I forgot to say thanks for not making fun of my "northern" accent. Of course we know there is no such thing as a northern accent except to people down in Dixie! (By the way, I was cheering for North Carolina's Davidson last week--though I'd never heard of them until March Madness--but I will need to cheer for the underdog Kansas vs. UNC because my Julie is from Kansas.)

4/4/08 10:18 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Those videos you made turned out really well Tom. Your hard work really paid off. Fantastic job! Thank you for sharing those.

9/4/08 1:06 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks, Cris,
There are a few more to come but the project is wrapping up. These are "highlights" in a DVD that will present them in a less disjointed format, but Youtube has time limits for clips.

9/4/08 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter