.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Welcome to a "New Soul" (featuring Yael Naim)

In recent years, my daughters have begun to influence my taste in music by introducing me to "lesser known" artist who have followings in little coffee houses around the world. Some of these artists "get their break" when some obscure song becomes a surprise hit in a movie soundtrack; others lend their magical quality to a well-funded ad campaign. The song may have nothing to do with the product, but it connects us emotionally to it by adding a human element.

You've probably seen the new Macintosh commercial featuring the world's thinnest laptop computer being pulled out of a flat manila envelope. That's where you've heard the song below. It has been in my head for days.

Songs do that to me sometimes. I've heard this phenomenon called "ear worms," but that sounds more like an infestation than an "inspiration." Listen to the song and read the simple words as they saunter to that irresistible rhythm. You can't help but smile. You can't help but thank God for music, for both imagination and TRUTH, for the freedom to make mistakes, for mercy, and for the hope of being a "new soul."
.

.
This post is dedicated to some friends (our vocal music teacher and her husband) who just had a new baby girl Friday! This song reminds me of her gifted, playful, artistic approach to teaching children about music and life. (In the middle of one of her classes last week, she pressed her tummy and said, "Ooooo, that was a good one [contraction] and went right on teaching, knowing it wouldn't be long before their "new soul" would be with them (and their 2-year-old daughter) in this strange world. Thanks for making the joy of new life a part of your lesson plans, Mrs. C.

New Soul by Yael Naim

I'm a new soul I came to this strange world
hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take.
But since I came here felt the joy and the fear
finding myself making every possible mistake
la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la...
I'm a young soul in this very strange world
hoping I could learn a bit bout what is true and fake.
But why all this hate?
Try to communicate finding trust and love
is not always easy to make.
la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la...
This is a happy end cause' you don't understand
everything you have done why's everything so wrong
this is a happy end come and give me your hand
I'll take your far away.
[Refrain]: I'm a new soul I came to this strange world
hoping I could learn a bit about how to give and take
but since I came here felt the joy and the fear
finding myself making every possible mistake
la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la...
la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la....

10 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

I rarely watch tv and when I do I am mostly critical of every ad that plays between the show segments. This ad however is one I actually like. All because of this song.
I am excited for the Corbins and the new blessing in their life. I have enjoyed sitting in on some of her kindergarten music classes this year and I can see she truly has a gift for teaching, sharing herself as well as her gift of music.
I enjoyed re-reading some of what you reposted in regards to the Cerak/VanRyn story. It is amazing to me how God has had His hand in every detail of their lives and that now is getting glory on both sides of this story. Glory in Joy and in sorrow doesn't make sense to most people in our world today. So it is such a neat opportunity to clearly express faith. Nobody can argue with a testimony and I am grateful that God is using them all in such a way that millions are hearing the truth of His love, grace, healing and sufficiency. In joy and in pain.
It's hard to understad such a concept...but 'easy' for those of us who walk this path in life.

30/3/08 8:29 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

That was a good song by a good musician. Music is important. I think of all the wonderful people who gave their time to lead choirs and play church music in my last parish. They added so much to the worship. Thank God for muisc and music people.

31/3/08 10:23 AM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Hi, Tom. I haven't been out and about much. Thought I would just drop by. I enjoy this sweet song. I wondered what all the words were. Thanks for posting them. I trust that you and your family are doing well.
Donnetta

31/3/08 3:04 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I really enjoyed the song too. Thank you for sharing it. :)

31/3/08 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I tend not to really listen to lyrics. But when my attention is drawn to them as in this post...I would have to agree they really have alot of power! Thank you for sharing!!!

As an FYI>>>>> Oprah's program on Mistaken Identity will be on Wed. and NOT Tuesday as first thought.

31/3/08 4:58 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

jody,
We were glued to Dateline Friday night. It was such a strange twist in an already tragic story.

Dr.John,
It's strange to me how little the elements of music have changed through time: melody, harmony, rythym, lryics, etc. They all work together interestingly in this simple song.

Donetta Lee,
It's been ages. Thanks for coming by. The family is doing fine and looking forward to spring.

Hi, Cris,
Are you getting all these thunderstorms over there. Lot's of rain here in west Michigan.

WSL,
Thanks for the correction. I'll change the info in that post. I looked all over the web to confirm her schedule but found nothing so this is very helpful.

31/3/08 7:15 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi Tom, this is a beautiful song and i have seen commercials using it. thanks for sharing it here and posting the words. i think it was you last year that shared another song from a commercial i liked--"Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, which i was using on my poetry blog.

i've been helping to take care of one of my closest friends who's battling leukemia, so i haven't been around much.

i hope you had an enjoyable Easter with your family. have a great week!

1/4/08 3:37 AM  
Blogger Bubbles In My Think Tank said...

Hi again Tom! I LOVE this song and, again, the simplicity of it all. Music is such a huge part of my life. Thanks.

4/4/08 10:00 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

Tom,
Thank you so much for this very thoughtful and special post. What a beautiful song to dedicate to our new 'Sophie.'

I love the music...and the video. It made me want to breathe deeper and smile more :)

-ang

4/4/08 8:45 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Tracie,
I could not get that song out of my head all last week. It's gone at the moment--so I don't dare listen to it right now.

Ang,
I was hoping you'd be able to come by and find this post before it gets buried with all this Thailand stuff. I trust you are enjoying every minute with the family. This song just struck me as "you."

4/4/08 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter