.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Past Post Posited

Please forgive this sudden shift in topic, but I was just flipping channels and found it interesting that on the eve of Hillary's victorious but moot coup de grĂ¢ce in West Virginia, the Encore "Drama" channel is airing "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" for at least the third time during this political primary season (each time when Hillary's candidacy or motives were under scrutiny).

Rather than again posit the similarities some may see between that film and Hillary's ruthless tenacity, let me simply link you to this past post about a tale of character, motives, manipulation, and the hazards of misplaced trust. I didn't watch the movie this time, but in case you missed our lively discussion last fall, here's the link again.

(Theatrically speaking, I will say that after six months of auditioning various faces, cackles, and personalities, Senator Clinton's current rendition of herself [with Bill kept off screen] is one of her more appealing characters, but like this re-run, her would-be presidency is movie I'd rather not watch.)

Here is Maureen Dowd's take on Hillary's eventual demise as a candidate.

16 Comments:

Blogger the walking man said...

Tom, you're too funny.

naw i din't hit the link or ever see the movie.

But for some reason your post made me smile and pontificate in my head very early in the morning.

But being a Michigander I am following the DNC lead and remaining voiceless.

peace

14/5/08 1:59 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mark,
That is a true demonstration of restraint. I probably should have shown the same restraint by not posting this hint to a past post, but what a strange primary quandry the DNC is finding itself in. And what an ironic outcome for Michigan and Florida who wanted to "count" so badly they were willing to say "we don't count."

Thank you. You have given me an idea for a more interesting post to write this evening. =)

14/5/08 5:35 AM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I thought it was Billy's hand that rocked the cradled with the Monica girl.

14/5/08 5:04 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You are just too funny... so how about the NC/dem throwing his support to the mix- in Michigan no less. What's next?

14/5/08 6:10 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

JRT,
No... that expression is "robbed the cradle..." That was a dreadful mess. Hard to believe it's been over ten years.

Nancy,
Yes, I saw the Breck boy endorsing Obama on the news. That was just a half hour from here. Speaking of southern accents (we're we speaking of southern accents?) We'll be traveling to the Florida Panhandle (Destin, FL) with our senior class this weekend. The accents there are strong and friendly. It's just below southern Alabama.

14/5/08 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw (online) where some Libertarian guy was wanting to run now. I read that a couple of days ago but have seen nothing since. His name escapes me as I'd never heard of him before.

POI..you are one brave soul to travel with a senior class! Best wishes on that one and have a great time! My DH and I went on a "day trip" (years ago) as chaperones with a senior class and that was quite the ordeal as I try to recall it.
WSL

15/5/08 2:51 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I remember your trip last year. You were able to blog a little and I hope you have that opportunity this time. Enjoy every minute- strong southern accents and all! Praying for safe travels for all of us.

15/5/08 6:30 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I have tried to keep an open mind but Hillary so fits my description of a conniving politician that it is really hard. When she started talking about moments with the Holy Ghost and how her father taught her to shoot I almost chocked.

15/5/08 5:11 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

WSL,
Yes, I saw the story about Bob Barr. I'm not sure his candidacy will get traction in the news much less the electorate.
Through the years, Julie and I have taken Senior Classes on many such year-end trips. I know why you would be inclined to say what you did, but honestly these are good trips. We just feel like parents of a really really big family, and the seniors get along like brother and sister. (Although come to think of it, I can name at least seven couples, now married, who once went on Sr. Trips with us and their future spouse.) In '88, we took a class of about 30 to Orlando. We're hoping to see them at thier 20-year reunion this summer. =)

Nancy,
Yep... same wonderful place... new set of students. Where did that year go? (Actually, it was one of the most eventful years of my life.)

Dr. John,
I know what you mean. Six months ago, I actually thought she would be the Democratic nominee. Obama was in Grand Rapids last night, to hear him tell a crowd everything the government is going to do for us, makes me wonder who's going to pay for all those promises. I miss listening to Ronald Reagan, who earned my first-cast vote.

15/5/08 6:48 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Sounds like you and I are thinking along the same lines about this old gal! Too funny, Tom. Hope you and yours are doing well.
Donnetta

16/5/08 9:16 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Donnetta Lee,
Yep. Alls well here. We're packed up and ready to head out on the Senior Trip (that is a trip with the senior class of our school not senior citizens =).

16/5/08 11:44 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

So Tom what I would like to ask then...are you a Reagan Democrat
a straight out Republican, or a conservative independent?

It doesn't really matter to me I come for the love.

Peace

17/5/08 1:58 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mark,
I'm one of those social conservatives who is becoming a bewildered Republicans but likes to think independently. =)

17/5/08 10:08 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

HELLO ALL,
ARRIVED SAFELY IN DESTIN, FL. ABOUT 10:00PM (CENTRAL TIME ZONE)SATURDAY NIGHT.
AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE A VERY WEAK INTERNET SIGNAL SO I'M NOT SURE HOW OFTEN I'LL BE ABLE TO CHECK POI, BUT I DO HOPE TO POST ONCE OR TWICE.

17/5/08 11:17 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Hi, Tom! Glad you made it to Destin okay. Hubby is in Punta Gorda right now but getting ready to return to Oklahoma for a bit. We'll head back down to Florida mid June. Should be good and humid at that point! Take care.
Donnetta

18/5/08 10:01 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Temps in the low 80's, low humidity, nice breeze, lot's of sun (and sunblock)...
but best of all the students are getting along as always--makes us proud to be with 'em! (Best yet, they make us feel like they're glad to be with us, too.)

19/5/08 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter