.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Game Five. Stayin’ Alive?

I know I haven’t been writing much lately—just been busy. I’m also a little tired from staying up late watching the Tigers struggle in St. Louis. (Funny thing: When they win, I wake up refreshed; when they lose, I wake up dragging my feet.) By the way, the low TV ratings this series is getting is in part because both teams are in "fly-over" country (rather than LA or NYC) but also because there aren't enough insomniacs willing to stay up past the 7th-inning stretch!

Tonight determines if my late-night sofa vegetating is over for the season. When I was a kid, the World Series was televised in the afternoon. The only year I actually watched was 1968. (I wrote about it here back in July.) Just in case you don’t know much about that last match-up between the Tigers and Cardinals, I'll let you in on some sports trivia: The Tigers won the last three out of seven games.

If the Tigers win tonight, the win-loss pattern of the first five games is identical to ‘68, and Detroit can return home to attempt a déjà vu end to the series from 38 years ago.

If they lose tonight, my hat will be off to the Cardinals, I’ll thank the Tigers for some great memories and good baseball, and I’ll get to bed earlier Saturday night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I love your sports trivia... I like to watch the last 2 innings only. I just can't be still that long. GOOD LUCK...may your team win!

27/10/06 6:42 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks for the kind wishes, Nancy, but it wasn't meant to be.
It wasn't beyond the Tigers' reach on any given night, but the Cardinals were able to take advantage of some costly errors.
In fact, in light of those clumsy moments, it's surprising we were "in it" until the last at bat.

27/10/06 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter