.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Not Since '87

I mentioned in a this post several weeks ago that my oldest daughter was born in October 1984, and the next day in the hospital room I took a picture of her in a miniature Tiger helmet with the series playing on the TV behind her. The Tigers won that year. Then in '87, the year our second daughter was born, the Tigers took the East Division. Each year we added to our family, Detroit went to the play-offs. I was beginning to think we should be put on their payroll. That was the last year the Tigers took the East Division [a feat not yet accomplished this year].

(Sidebar: That '87 season was a tight finish with Toronto back when their current bench manager, Ernie Whitt, was a catcher. Whitt was a local hero in my home town. He had graduated from my high school (Brablec) in ’72. He was also a member of my church youth group, and dated my pastor’s daughter. She has a funny story about a plumbing malfunction at Ernie’s house when she was having dinner with his family, but I’d better not tell it without her permission.)

Anyway, Detroit took the East Division in '87, and who were the winners of the West Division that they had to face?—none other than the Minnesota Twins. (Obviously this was back before the “wild card,” when there were only two divisions in each league.) I don’t even want to tell you what happened in that post season. I will tell you that I was in the Twin Cities at an ACSI convention the day game five ended and the news of the pennant was shared to a thousand of Minnesota fans. What are the odds that this boy from Detroit would be in Minneapolis/St. Paul at that moment?

Here’s the irony of today's news that the Tigers have clinched at least the wild card slot of the play-offs: The '87 World Series Champions are the only team still nipping at our heels for the division title now that the White Sox are out of the running.

As Rod Allen said in the champagne drenched locker room after today's 11-4 victory over Kansas City, “These boys bring their lunch pails to work every day.” The comment made Manager Jim Leyland choke all up and pay tribute to his friend and former Tiger, Alan Trammel. I don't know much about Leyland, but seeing that moment, he's a class act in my book.

The week ahead still holds plenty of excitement (and celebration?) for these lunch-pail guys who are fun to watch not only because of their skill but because of their renewed love of the game.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
As a KC Chief and Jayhawk fan I have learned not to get my hopes up in the post season. Best wishes to the Tigers this year! (Presbyterians are not allowed to say luck :) I still have fond memories of George Brett taming the tigers back in the 70's and 80's.
Steve Meneley

28/9/06 5:37 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Steve, Sat.9/30
Even as I type, your last-place KC Royals are whooping up on us--a seven round first inning--after coming back to beat us in extras last night. The spirit of George Brett has returned to the field. I will heed your advice...at this rate, it will take a miracle to advance past NY. =)
Hey, remember that night we got in free to a Royals game for wearing our yellow hard hats--it was Fred Flinstone United Quarry Workers Night or something like that (back in '80 when we were building the dam with Venture Quarries at the Burlington Nuke Plant). Good times!

30/9/06 8:41 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Well, Steve,
It wasn't a miracle, but you've got to admit it was pretty remarkable and fun to watch the Tigers come back and shut down the Yankees in games 2, 3, and 4. I now thank the KC Royals for making that possible no matter what else the post season holds. On to Oakland!

8/10/06 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter