.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Secret Has Been Out for Weeks...

I said at the end of last weekend's post that I had two updates that I couldn't wait to share. This first was something Julie and I and all the other family members on both sides had were asked to keep a secret for over a month.

You remember my oldest, Emily, who got married two summers ago? Well, the night before our second daughter left for Croatia, Em and her husband Keith came in to give Kim and Natalie their birthday presents early (they were both born on the same day eight years apart). That was just an excuse to give each of the girls one baby booty. When they opened the presents, they immediately put two and two together and knew that the booty was not a birthday present but a coming "birth" announcement. It was very exciting news, but we were asked to keep it quiet until after the sonogram.

So the morning of that appointment, a few weeks ago, Em and Keith came in and called us to the kitchen to show us this picture (taken at about eight weeks). I took a picture of the picture to post it in June but decided to give them plenty of time to tell everybody the news in their own way before I shared it here at Patterns of Ink. Julie and I are going to be grandparents. Or as Julie says "Nanna" and "Papa" next January.

This post was about this exciting change in our present and future; the next post is a huge step back in time--over 100 years. I've been doing some research on Julie's side of the family as a "thank you" to a very special aunt who recently gave Julie a special heirloom. If you like Civil War stories mixed with Little House on the Prairie mixed with an interesting twist of fate... I think you'll like "The Oldest Voice in the Parlor," which I hope to post Saturday. Then it will be on to Chapter 30 of our ongoing saga about the house we built in the Seventies. That chaper is called: "First We'll Need Some Wood."
4196

12 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

Congrats to you and yours, Tom, and welcome to a new chapter in your life!

22/7/09 10:42 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks, Quilly,
It is exciting. She thinks she is showing, but at three months and then some, I still can't see much difference. She and Keith are fun to watch in this process.

22/7/09 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on becoming "First Timers"! There is nothing like being a grandparent! We have two (probably will remain at that # too due to circumstances) and we love them sooo much!

POI..your family and ours have something in common in that we have children who share a birthday as well. They both said we did a good job in making it so they didn't feel "left out" or that they really shared (you know, like the same toy!!??) I always baked them each a cake and the fact that they're opposite sexes made it easy too so they didn't get the "shared" gifts!

As usual...love your posts!
WSL

23/7/09 1:51 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

WSL,
Good to see you over here at POI, my favorite place to post. =)

I'm not sure about the math, but it seems like the odds are one in 365 that siblings will be born on the same day, but I'll bet it happens even less than that. It's been a fun little tidbit of their shared life.

I'm looking forward to being a grandpa!

23/7/09 2:27 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

I think, as I have thought for a long time Tom, that leaving these writings for strangers when your moms house is sold was not really what should be done with them.

I hope you are rethinking the purpose of them now.

Congratulations brother and good health to all concerned, especially you old man. You're going to have about seven hundred million heart attack thoughts over the next few months. You've been through this before but it's different when it;s your kid bringing the first of the next generation into the world.

24/7/09 6:22 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mark,
You speak from experience. You are right. It is different. I like the way you put it... "the first of the next generation." That generation thing ties into the next post, which is not about the house.

I appreciate your advice on these chapters. While I do hope to leave a copy of them in the house, I plan to have it copyrighted. I'll consider what you said. It would be an honor to find there may be a broader interest in it beyond family or future occupants.

24/7/09 4:08 PM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Congrats, Future Gramps! It seems like just yesterday that they got hitched.

24/7/09 7:52 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Jim,
I know what you mean. I Can't believe it's been two years this summer. I think the fact that time is going by so fast makes me feel way older than the word "gramps." =) But it's all good!

24/7/09 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The parents of our two grandboys got "hitched" 16 years ago next Friday! It seems like yesterday when our son was a little boy and now he's a husband and a dad of 2 teens!! The years "do" fly by so quickly! Our eldest grandboy grew up even quicker than his dad! Whew!!

Again congrats on this new passage of your lives as a family! It's truly a blessing.
WSL

25/7/09 7:43 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

WSL,
Enjoy that anniversary and those grandsons. We're having a big family get-together with all the siblings here at our house this weekend. Can't wait!

25/7/09 10:32 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

OKAY...confession is good for the soul and I will have to repent for this at some point BUT I am jealous. Green with envy all the way down to my little toes...let me just say it again, I"M JEALOUS! As you know, Ben has been married 3 years and Katherine, the same as your daughter, 2 years. Being with my precious grandnieces once a week, makes me realize how wonderful this is going to be! Now, taking a deep breath, I'm getting past this jealous thing; it's starting to mellow into a feeling of excitement for you and I admit... I even had a tear in my eye as I read your post knowing what this will mean for you and Julie. Congratulations...keep me posted and know that my prayers have already started for all of you especially your grandbaby!

29/7/09 8:02 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Wow!
I missed this comment by a few weeks, Nancy. Thanks for thinking of us in this way. It is exciting. Keith and Em went up to Mackinac Island for a few days. They deserve the nice get-away!

23/8/09 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter