.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Perhaps It's Just as Well...

Update on this post: We had a small party for Natalie yesterday during which we "skyped" Kim in Croatia and all sang "Happy Birthday" together. Why do I feel like I have awakened in a cartoon episode of The Jetsons ? ... First day of the estate sale went well. Today is the "everything must go" price-down.

Now back to the original Friday post. Next chapter should be posted by Monday.

So sorry I haven't posted this week. I've had no time to write but the next chapter was basically written two months ago. I just have to finish it and so far that has not been possible. It's 12:01 AM June 19. This is a very special day. On this day two of my three daughters were born. Yes, the second two share a birthday on June 19th.


Today is also the first day of the estate sale at the house that these "Unsettled" chapters will eventually describe. Julie and I have done our share of shopping at many estate sales, but never have we been to one at our own homestead. Because we have to take my youngest to the airport in Chicago, I will not be at the sale itself.

Perhaps that's just as well... My siblings and I have had hours and hours of closure on our "work days" at the house this year. All the business that remains is the work of an auction/estate sale company. I just know if I were there I'd see more things that I'd hate to see sold to strangers, so maybe it's just as well...

I wonder if any of the people going through the house on Friday and Saturday will see the penny I put in the living room wall back in 1973. I have a chapter all about that wall, but there is much to tell between now and then.

First there is the pending post; then comes the part about us tearing down a small YMCA building in Mt. Clemens to get the wood to build the house. Yes, that beautiful house in these pictures is made from wood we salvaged and "de-nailed," and the bricks are from an eighty-year-old building in downtown Detroit, but I'm getting ahead of myself!
3325

6 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

It is probably better that you were not there to see strangers picking through your past. I am thinking, it isn't the things chosen that would bother me so much, as the things left behind ...

19/6/09 3:32 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Wow, Quilly, That is a profound thought. It would be sad to see what no one wanted, and yet we siblings have gone through all the stuff that had meaning to us so it shouldn't have that effect. I think it would just be a reminder of some lines in a poem I wrote called "Kept" (about an old feather pillow)

"But life is full
of things still kept
well past their being wanted,
and this was true of the old pillow
before it was the boy’s."

I think the tons of stuff still there are "things still kept well past their being wanted."

19/6/09 12:42 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

I've always been one to easily let go of stuff...I remember things and it is enough luggage for one man to carry.

20/6/09 2:59 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mark,
As the next chapter will prove, and as you've guessed by now, I keep the strangest things from my past.

I wish there were a way for you to get out to the sale just to look the homestead over. There's nothing there you'd want to buy, but your thoughts on the place would be interesting to me. (Sass Rd.)

20/6/09 7:02 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi Tom, i feel nostalgic just reading this post.i can only imagine how i would fee.

that is so special that 2 of your daughters were born on the same day.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

21/6/09 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh P.O.I. I'd wondered what had happened with you! NOW I've read 2 very great posts! I wish I could e-mail you privately to say there are a couple of "things" we might have in common (sort of at least).
I LOVE "Fiddler On The Roof"!!! Love the music and the story-line! I've only seen the movie version but would love to see it on the stage. I might have caught a version of it at the Fort Atkinson Dinner Theater (Wisc.) years ago. But it's theater in the round so one kind of loses a bit of something with that.

LOVE your family home pictures! It's a style I love! I know the bitter-sweet idea of estate sales or something similar. The sorting out of memories of "stuff" acquired through the life-times of family members.

Your time in Chicago sounds very sweet! My husband isn't one for the "arts" though I am so not sure if that trip would ever happen to us. I will live vicariously through your words for now.

We have family members who share birthdays as well. Your daughters happen to share a niece of mine, birthday!

Blessings to you and your family....
WSL

21/6/09 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter