.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Missing Kim

This has been a busy week and next week looks even more busy with a small construction project in our back yard.

Julie and I just returned from taking our daughter Kim to the airport. She is a TESL major: "Teaching English as a Second Language,"and will be teaching English for the next two months in the region of Slavonia in Coratia. This two-month mission trip involves teaching children and adults and is part of the field experience required for her degree.)

She'd only been home from college for three weeks. We miss Kim already. In fact, on the way home, we stopped by Countryside Greenhouse and bought a lilac bush in her honor. It seemed a perfect idea since the exact type of lilac sums how we'll feel until she returns in August. It's called: "Miss Kim Lilac."

Lots of open houses this weekend, but I hope to post Chapter 27 in a day or so.
3020

7 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

I have my TESL endorsement on my teaching license. I earned my field experience in Las Vegas. ;)

6/6/09 2:49 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Quilly,
What "second language" is in Vegas? Just kidding. I know TESL can be used in almost any community these days.

6/6/09 7:33 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

I've already thought of her since we "sent her" as a church family and hope her travels are going well. Our family will continue to pray for her as she's learning, teaching and ministering.
I hope the lilac florishes too.
As for Vegas, I think there is a second language there...I think there is actually a whole culture there all its own! I'm glad to not be a part of it. It felt dark and overwhelming to me when I was there.
I think it's time to start sending some of our missionaries to the strip and surrounding neighborhoods. There is a growing need for some Real Light in that city!

7/6/09 2:25 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Jody,
I seems like ages since I've been to Nitty Gritty, but I know you know how busy the end of the school year is for us.

Kim has called home about four of five times already. (She is at a three-day training session in Florida so we can still call cheap, but after Wednesday,we'll be skyping. I've never done it before.)

What you said about Vegas needing Light is ironic when you think of all the "lights" and neon there.

7/6/09 2:45 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi Tom, what a beautiful mission trip for your daughter--a great experience. the lilac bush is really beautiful and you'll have the blossoms year-after-year.

8/6/09 8:42 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

HC,
One of the hardest days with her so far away will be her birthday in a couple weeks. Because she and her sister Natalie were born on the very same date eight years apart, and because it was in June when school is out, she has never been away on her birthday. But she got a special birthday present from her older sister last week and we'll have a surprise waiting for her when she gets back.

(Kim, Don't read this. =)

9/6/09 3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha- what?! a surprise! I sent you a fathers day email but in case you don't get it I thought I'd comment on here-chances are you'll read this first! ;) Happy Fathers Day I love you so much. I miss you guys too and did you know I love lilac's- they remind me of Berkshire and that little corner where we buried Corky and left his leash on the rock pile. Anyways, I hope you guys had fun with Nate today and I will write a good update email soon. It's been really busy. Kiss mom for me. -Kim

21/6/09 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter