.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Sage and the School Boy

A lad came by the Fix-it Shop
with another broken toy.
“What is to become of us,"
the old man asked the boy.

What is?” the boy replied,
“we cannot know for sure.
My teacher says what’s truth
for me may not be truth for her.
And 'to become,' she’d say,
means what I want to be
and not, as you’ve suggested,
what God expects of me.
Of us’ the last words of the six,
there at the question’s end,
might mean our fates are shared
alike with foe and friend.
But since we cannot know
what was or is or is in store,
my teacher says 'we just exist--
we are and nothing more.'
And so, you see, your question
was faulty from the start.
If you had gone to school with me,
you might be just as smart.”

With that the lad took back his toy
and scampered out the door.
“What is to become of us?”the old man asked once more.
© Copyright -2008, TK, Patterns of Ink
.
.
A Sage is a sagacious person, one who knows that the simplest, most penetrating questions of life often prompt the answer man wishes most to ignore.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dr.John said...

Great poem. It sums up nicely what a lot of people seem to believe.

24/10/08 5:37 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks, Dr. John,
Before I jotted down the lines, I was thinking about how that six-word question is far less vague than it first sounds, and if answered honestly before God it helps us understand why He created us in "community" (relationship) with man and Himself.

24/10/08 6:01 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Tom: Such a good poem. Really thoughtful this one. I have to go back and read it again. It isn't as simple as it seems on first reading. I know I have asked myself on many occasions: What is to become of me? I'm asking it right now as my retirement date looms. As always, nice choice of words, my friend. D

24/10/08 8:26 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Donnetta Lee,
When I write verse, it tends to crystallize for a few days. This may or may not be "set." =)

You are a speech pathologist about to retire. Your feelings must be very like my sister's who just retired from her 1st grade classroom after thirty-some years last June. She has actually enjoyed the change of pace and is now working part-time for Wayne State in Detroit as an supervisory teacher for "student teachers."
There will be something for you.

I don't mean to indict "teachers" in this piece but rather a system that has so misconstrued "the separation of church and state" that by law teachers who believe are told to keep God out of class discussion while atheist teachers are free to preach their is no God. Either both worldviews should be silent or both should be allowed without ridicule.

25/10/08 7:23 AM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I think, therefore I am ...

26/10/08 12:22 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

JRT,
Ah, Descartes. "Cogito, ergo sum." All my high school Latin comes rushing back to me. But the truth is "I am" whether I think or not and just as truth "is" whether it's believed or not. =) Most of today's "thinkers" think thought gives life to truth when it's the other way around.

26/10/08 1:00 PM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Everyone should think while "being." It's what keeps us moving toward our beliefs (whether they're correct or not).

26/10/08 6:31 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

JRT,
Thanks for thinking with me. =)
The truth is I'm often true to my name "Thomas" complete with doubts and all, but that's part of the wonder of it all. I wrote this a while back:
“Wonder Is“

Hey, I haven't forgotten your advice about that contest, but it's been a strange couple of weeks. Hope I haven't missed it.

26/10/08 6:54 PM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

You have until Oct. 31st. It can be any creative nonfiction blog post from 2008.

Here's the link: http://www.creativenonfiction.org/blog_nomination.html

I've entered; You should too.

26/10/08 10:55 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i've asked this question of God so many times (what's to become of me?), usually when i can't see what's around the corner. i am because God is.

27/10/08 8:23 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Amen, HC!

28/10/08 3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very profound.

29/10/08 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter