.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mourning Glory

Sometimes its through mourning
that glory comes to God,
when seeds of fallen sorrow
burst beneath the sod
and roots of grief
press through hardened pain
to the dark and dampened soil
of forgotten rain.
Then drawing strength
and pushing earth apart,
the stem and vine rise up
'til tendrils of the heart
can cling to hope
when the long night is done,
and mourning turns to glory
as the blooms turn t’ward the sun.
© Copyright 8-25-2008, TK, Patterns of Ink
.
.
Psalm 30:11
"You have turned my mourning into dancing, Lord."
This afternoon I began mulling over this use of the words "mourning" and "glory."
Psalm 30: 11 came to mind but even more so the story of Lazarus in John 11 when Mary and Martha were broken hearted, and even Jesus wept, but there was a reason for His timing: "It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it."
(This foreshadowed His own resurrection. In the Lazarus context, the final word "sun" could be replaced with "Son.") The idea first struck me a few posts back when I wrote about Morning Glories. Mr. Nebola's flowers will come up again in the next chapter of our "Unsettled" story about building the log barn.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful on a half dozen different levels. Spiritually you speak to me of life and death; sorrow and joy, birth and aging. Physically, I recall and react to the scents you've invoked, experiencing Spring. And emotionally I remember my own losses, loved ones gone. Yet I can envision new growth, and hope.

Very well done.

24/8/08 11:18 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks Quilly,
You caught a first draft again. Just tweaked it a little. It must only be suppertime in Hawaii. It's past bedtime here, and tomorrow is the first day of school (not for students but for my teachers and me) so it's "lights out" for now.

24/8/08 11:37 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

It is a poem loaded with meaning and in addition Morning Glories are one of my favorite flowers. Thank you.

25/8/08 6:14 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Dr. John,
Thanks for reading into the meaning as intended.
As a kid, I used to think that the "morning dove" was named for the time of day I heard them, but they are in fact "MOURNING DOVES," named for the sad sound of their cooing. I think perhaps this childhood confusion lead to this recent word-play.

25/8/08 9:34 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

It is the flowering from the passing of mourning that sings God's praises in the light of a new day within the heart of man.

28/8/08 2:46 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

TWM,
Thanks for stopping by, Mark. We're taking a needed "break" this weekend and I hope have time to write and post the next chapter about the barn soon.

28/8/08 4:25 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

s'ok Tom no hurry, I just had that needed surgery and it was a bit rougher than I thought. Please take your time.

29/8/08 2:25 AM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm trying to catch up on my favorite blogs. I'm a few posts behind on yours. I'm just glad you always do a recap. Nice poem btw.

30/8/08 9:47 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

TWM,
Mark, Hope you're feeling fine after that long-awaited surgery.

JRT,
It's not deliberate... school has started for me. What happened to all those idle days of "writing" I thought were going to happen this summer? I know you can relate.

30/8/08 10:37 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Doing some catching up as well. As always, thanks for checking in and look forward to reading these posts about your father.

Julie in CO

3/9/08 2:57 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Lovely words, Tom. I also enjoyed your thoughts on "mourning" and "glory." Makes us think. The blue morning glory picture is so pretty, too. Always good to visit you. Best.
Donnetta

4/9/08 8:37 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks Julie in CO and Donnetta Lee,

I'm alive. It's been over ten days since I've posted--lots of reasons why...helping fix-up a house with Em and Keith...school starting...Labor Day Weekend had less down-time than I thought... last week and this weeks "political developments" grabbed more of my prime-time interest than the past six months combined. [I'll avoid the temptation to opine on politics.]
And then for the past three days I've been away to a camp called Spring Hill with our high schoolers. That's been a great experience as always.

Whatever the reasons, the next chapter has been a long time coming, and I thank you for your patience.

5/9/08 10:16 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

It sounds like we've all been missing in action and for a variety of reasons. My excuse... laptop problems! I'm sure if you lived next door, I could just rush over and have you tweak it. Where is a techy when you need them. Oh well, this laptop works only when it wants to and has spent 2 weeks getting fixed by a reputable techy. It's gonna be my backup laptop soon. I have a new mac on the way. I'm SO excited.

I love morning glories too and I love your photos! What a poem... it's a keeper! I love the Biblical connection.

I know this is a busy time for you but I do look forward to the next chapter and I hope my mac arrives so I can read it!

9/9/08 6:50 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nancy,
You're going to love your Mac. My middle daughter got one the week before going back to college and then my oldest and her husband got one last week. They both love the little white laptops.

I think we all sometimes take planned or unplanned "breaks" from our blogging. Mine was unplanned. I feel bad about it because the upcoming chapters are on the verge of being "postable," but it's been over a week since I've had my mind on them. Late nights at school and more to come. Then by the time I get home, I'm fascinated with the latest updates, speeches, and "misunderestimating" media.
Maybe after a few more chapters about the barn and well, I'll slip in some thoughts about current events. =)

9/9/08 10:13 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

What wonderful prose. You ability is a gift. I remember loosing loved ones, and this made me remember them with a smile, and realize that with tomorrow comes new light.

11/9/08 2:03 PM  
Blogger Bubbles In My Think Tank said...

Wow I've got so much to catch up on with you! This was beautiful as usual.

I am so jealous that you are going to see 'hockey mom'!! Oh yeah, and Sen. McCain too. She has definitely caused an awesome uproar here. Would love to hear her in person.

15/9/08 8:22 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Family Man,
Thanks for stopping by. Isn't it funny how sometimes long after grief or mourning has passed... we can simply miss those no longer with us?

BMITT,
I don't think I've used those letters to identify you before. =)

Yes, it's been a while but I can understand that. I'm trying hard to keep this POI a politics-free zone for a few more weeks, but I couldn't resist mentioning that the Cain/Cuda team was coming to town Wednesday.

16/9/08 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter