.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

20b

Only I hit him in the eye yesterday.
I only hit him in the eye yesterday.
I hit only him in the eye yesterday.
I hit him only in the eye yesterday.
I hit him in only the eye yesterday.
I hit him in the only eye yesterday.
I hit him in the eye only yesterday.
I hit him in the eye yesterday only.

1. Only I hit him in the eye yesterday.
(No one else hit him.)
2. I only hit him in the eye yesterday.
(So what’s the big deal—could’ve been worse.)
3. I hit only him in the eye yesterday.
(I could have hit those around him but didn’t.)
4. I hit him only in the eye yesterday.
(the eyeball itself, not around it.)
5. I hit him in only the eye yesterday.
(I chose not to hit him in the nose or mouth.)
6. I hit him in the only eye yesterday.
(He was dressed as a Cyclops.)
7. I hit him in the eye only yesterday.
(Ah, what a memory…seems like ages ago.)
8. I hit him in the eye yesterday only.
(I’ve not made a habit of it.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

And the story continues... I love your "ONLY" illustration. What a great lesson for the kids.

Are you better? Any snow in Michigan?

7/12/07 11:37 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I can't take credit for the "ONLY" word study. There are many sources for it, but I don't know who made it up. It's sort of like trying to determine who first said, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." (that old typing exercise)

7/12/07 9:44 PM  
Blogger A said...

Timing is everything !! Peace to you and yours this holiday season, POI. A

8/12/07 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter