.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Pause for a Happy Cause
in the Series of Posts

I mentioned yesterday that Part III-C is on its way and it is, but Part III-B was pretty serious so I wanted to interrupt the series with short light-hearted post to wish my mother a Happy Birthday.

A few hours ago, a dozen people were gathered around a birthday cake in our dining room singing Happy Birthday to two people. (My mom and I weren’t singing.) You know how cautious I am about giving out personal information on the web so I’ll just say that two days after I was born, my mom celebrated her 26th birthday in the hospital. Her birthday is Tuesday.

That’s my mom there in the light green listening to a friend talk in the kitchen. Her husband Bob took the picture a few weeks ago. Most of you are somewhat new to POI, and you may only know my mother as the sweet little girl in “The Gray Hair in the House.”

Let me say that this beautiful lady, so composed and serene in her golden years is the very same mother who brought delightful balance to our lives in the “Mixed Milk” years. She is the cook who brought the lunches to the boys (and fed the dog) described in “Property.” She put the charm in “Past Tents” and “Pitching the Tent” (scroll down to June 24 at this link) She accidentally walked me past the drunk Santa in Part 1 of “When Doubt Came Slowly” (and explained the saddest bundle of letters I ever found in Part 3 of those posts).

If you have time to read only one of these links, she is the nervous bride in the story she told me a year ago as I had a chance to spend the night on her side of the state. It’s about how Bob (who took the picture) made "The Wedding Cake" for my mom and dad’s wedding. [The full 4-part version of the wedding cake story begins at this link, scroll down to April 1, "Visiting Home" and the 3 posts below it.]

My mom is not only amusing, she is the “muse” of many of my stories. I’ve been writing them here at Patterns because she reads regularly. She is an amazing woman who has been on her back more than once over the past ten years with the on-going reality represented in her pink bracelet. She arrived here Friday, four hours from her home, after that day’s radiation treatment, and yet she had a wonderful visit with my daughters, my in-laws, and the nearly 50 guests at my daughter’s bridal shower yesterday. She and Bob just headed back to the other side of the state a few hours ago.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Happy Birthday, Mom! We love you!

12 Comments:

Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I certainly can wait for Part III-C (kind of sounds like a line on a tax form anyway) to give a shout out for your mom. Have a safe trip back and hope you have many many more Happy Birthdays.

22/4/07 5:56 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Oh, no, I'm writing tax forms! I've got to change those titles. =)
Thanks, JR. She'll see it [but she doesn't know how to comment so Bob prints them out].

22/4/07 6:05 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

I dropped by to finish reading Part III-B and found this tribute to your mother. She is one beautiful woman. Very classy. Happy Birthday to her.

I haven't read everything you have written about your mother, but what I have read so far tells me that she has been the rock in your life, the steady hand, an inspiration, and hope.

She is indeed very fortunate to have a son like you. I am sure she knows this.

22/4/07 6:45 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Happy Birthday, Tom's Mom. I know it's an honor to be called by Mom with the name of one of your children preceeding it. I have been privy to such a title many times already...and my oldest is just 8. I wish your Mom all the best as she faces the challenges of radiation and side effects- withi dignity, courgae and grace. I met one of your kids' aunts today...seems your family has lots of beautiful women in it. How perfect that you "paused" in the midst of a series about why people blog to post a birthday wish and sentiments to your Mom. I'll bet Abraham Lincoln would have done the same. =)

22/4/07 7:20 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

SQ,
She has been a rock, indeed. Dad was, too. They balanced each other well. Dad died in 1995. The story about the wedding cake in that last link is a happy twist to their story after that date.

Jody,
How kind of you to talk to my mom. She'll love it. Someday your children, too, will rise up and call you "blessed." =) You will like Part III-C and IV.
P.S.
All but one of the girl's aunts was here this weekend, and that description fits them all. =)
BTW, we're watching a Hallmark movie about forgiveness. Did you see it?

22/4/07 8:39 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Tom, your Mom looks lovely. What a gracious lady. Please wish her a Happy Birthday for me. I lost my mom to cancer 24 years ago, and she was far too young. I am so happy to read about a man who cherishes his mother so much. She must know how much she is cherished as well.

I think you inherited your sense of humor from her, right?

(My birthday is two days after Christmas and my Mom always teased me that I ruined her turkey dinner that year...)

Cheers,
Josie

22/4/07 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Tom's Mom! I like the stories about you. It makes me feel like all the challenges of motherhood are worth it in the end. I hope your son has more of them on the way.

23/4/07 6:51 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Josie,
All five of her "real" children and hundreds who call her "Mom K" cherish her very much. (As you know, that feeling never changes.)
Yes, I think I did get my laugh from her... as well as my cry. =) We had such a nice visit with her and Bob this weekend.

Anon,
She would tell you that it's the world's highest calling. I believe she's right.
There are, indeed, more stories. Look for one called "Bringing Home the Duncan Phife." It's in draft form right now, but I hope to post it in May.

23/4/07 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Grandma. Sometimes I get on Dad's blog just to read stories about you! It was fun playing piano for you on Sunday, but I liked laying my head on your shoulder even more. I love you,
Naty

23/4/07 6:14 PM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Happy Birthday Tom's Mom! You're blessed with a wonderful family....Tom included!

24/4/07 10:27 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Thanks, Naty,
I'll call Bob and have him print this out for Grandma. I like when you write comments here. I know it's a bunch of "grown-ups" but you're always welcome.

LGS,
Thanks for stopping by during your busy week and for passing a HB along to my mom.

24/4/07 2:15 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mom,
Happy Birthday!
If you're reading this, I know Bob printed it out for you.
You've read the stories at the links (those are the words that are underlined), but it you sit at a computer and "click" on those underlined words, they will take you to the story mentioned. Don't feel bad; Julie still prefers reading a hard copy rather than from a screen, too.
I wanted to pass along something a friend in North Carolina said in the post below: "I loved the tribute to your Mom! How special, especially knowing she will read your blog. That just melted this mothers heart! She is now on my prayer list." [She's a retired teacher and her daughter is also getting married this summer.]
Blogging has been a way to meet people from all over the place. Last weeks posts (and a couple yet to come) are all about that.
Well, I know you're probably going out to dinner tonight so I'll close. Call you later... I need to get a few details to finish that story about "Bringing Home the Duncan Phife."
Tell everyone there "Hi"
Love,
Tom

24/4/07 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter