.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Easter Snow

I’d like to see where robins go
when all is green until a snow
falls unexpectedly at night
and wakes them harshly to a white
and chilly cov'ring on the ground.
Where is their sanctuary found?
I'd like to think they somehow know
to seek a sturdy bough that's low
and tucked under an unseen arm,
wrapped softly round to hold off harm
and keep them until Easter’s sun
appears, and spring's again begun.
© Copyright 2007, Patterns of Ink

It's spring! In fact, this week is Spring Break here in West Michigan. Last week was beautiful with temps well into the 70's. Tuesday, I was doing light yard work out back. It was not quite 70 but felt very much like spring. Daffodils were standing tall, and Robins were everywhere. If that doesn't put a "tweedilly-tweedilly-deet..." in your heart, what will?

Then it happened. We'd been warned but hoped the weatherman was wrong. We got SNOW! Yesterday it was barely measurable. We went to bed wishing it were a dream, but this morning we woke to four inches more... just in time for Easter. Word is we'll be setting records in the Midwest, South, and East. Some of you may have gotten the chill without the snow.

When a heavy snow comes out of season like this, it throws the birds for a loop. As I was shoveling our driveway, I heard a flock of seagulls circling overhead. That's usually a sound we hear with beach towels slung over our shoulders and flip flops slapping underfoot.
It was then I noticed there was not a robin in sight. (Since many of you are not Michiganders, I should mention that the robin is our state bird.)

Where do they go? It's too soon for finished nests. Where do they wait it out? It reminded me of when Jesus assured his disciples that God looks after the sparrow, and they are even more the focus of his care. A few chapters later, wrapping up His warnings to the scribes and Pharisees, He says,"...How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings..."

This April snow will pass. New life and shelter will come with the rising of the SON. May you find sanctuary there this Easter!
.
"His appearance was ... white as snow.
And...the angel said to the women,
"Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus
who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen..."
Matthew 28:3-6
"He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler."
Psalm 91:4

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr.John said...

What a nivce way to work the good news into your snow storm.

7/4/07 8:32 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lovely! Happy Easter to you. I enjoy your blog so much.

7/4/07 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Californians say, "If God gives you lemons, make lemonade," but you Michiganders have to do it with snow. What a thought provoking poem.
Have a good Easter Sunday.

8/4/07 7:57 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Dr.John,
Hope you're having a good Easter up in the UP. (It sounds like you did not get this snow up there.)
SQ,
Thanks for stopping by and for your encouragment. He is risen!
Anon,
It's true that we make good use of the snow in all sorts of ways, but even we do not like it so much in April. =) I've been to CA once, and our friends actually had a lemon tree in their back yard.
I'm glad you were able to read between these simple lines.

8/4/07 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely poem.

Ivan

10/4/07 1:23 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

If you are the Ivan of Island Grove Press fame (and I know no other Ivan), I'm honored that you stopped by. I spent many wonderful vacations as a boy in Ontario.

10/4/07 4:34 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

What a lovely poem.

I think I know where all the robins are. They have come to Vancouver. They're out there right now, singing their little hearts out!

I hope you had a fabulous Easter, snow and all.

Cheers,
Josie

10/4/07 9:30 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Josie,
Easter could not help but be beautiful. The sun even came out(but didn't fully melt the snow). Then it snowed again on Monday. Finally, it all melted on Tuesday--we even saw robins again. THEN TODAY a very heavy snow storm came--dumping more than what we had on Easter. It's been coming down thick all day--an inch an hour at times.
The robins are hiding again and jealous of their cousins in Vancouver!

11/4/07 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter