.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Wooden Box: Part II

When Doubt Came Slowly
1964 Prologue Part 1: "Wooden Box" Part 2


Once day was done at school,
we walked in twos and threes and fours
to street corners where
“safety boys” with outstretched arms
kept us till the traffic cleared
then scurried us along.

It seemed at first
that not a thing had changed.
The sidewalks that we knew so well
still wound the same way home.
But that day more than most
mothers stood
waiting on front porches;
TVs flickered in the corner
as tables were set for supper;
and fathers coming home from work
sat a little longer in their cars,
trying to recall the things
dads are supposed to know.

In three days' time,,
we saw the widow veiled in black
with two children at her side.
We watched them say good-bye
at the cathedral steps.
From there the horse-drawn caisson
bore the wooden box
to Arlington.
We winced at the three shots
of the soldiers' seven guns.
We watched them fold the flag.
We heard the broken note of taps
and the final nine that fill the sky,
"All is well, safely rest, God is nigh"
Then in farewell,
she laid her face,
as we had on our desks,
against the smooth, cold wood.
John-John Kennedy salutes his father's casket as
it passed toward Arlington. November 25, 1963.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

I was looking for ways that would help me get free traffic to my Blog. While I was searching on Bloggger I found your Blog. I know it does not have to do with getting traffic but I really enjoyed reading it, great job!! In fact I have my own Blog and I get a lot of free traffic from http://www.autosurfmonster.com , If I were you I would submit this Blog to them so thousands of others can see it for free. Well, I will add your Blog to my favorites and I look forward to all the updates.

Jessica

10/12/06 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too think you are fascinating. Despite your few comments, please continue to share your epilogues, comments and stories.

14/12/06 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you do need more traffic, because you go to such a great extent with your posts.

14/12/06 8:54 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Jessica,
I haven't heard from you in the five months since this comment. Was this real or a "spam" comment for autosurfmonster? If you were actually reading, sorry I missed this comment when you left it. If it's the latter, I commend you for sounding more like a reader than most spammers do. =)
5-8-07

Anon,
I don't think I saw these comments until five months later when I linked to this post. I try to respond to comments, but maybe back then I didn't know to do that.
Thank you very much (belatedly) for this encouragement. I think I have heard from you since then.

9/5/07 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter