.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, December 01, 2006

When Doubt Came Slowly
(from Part I)

The year was 1964. Still clinging to the Santa story when I was nearly nine took little effort. I was the youngest of four kids in a house full of Christmas romance.

My brother Paul studied the TV Guide and scheduled family nights around the specials. Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” and young Natalie Wood's The Miracle of 34th Street, and Alastair Sim's 1951 A Christmas Carol, were always on the list. [Many years later, "It's a Wonderful Life," became our family's favorite, but most of my generation never saw that film until the year after a less impressive made-for-TV remake starring Marlo Thomas aired in 1977. Ironically, public rejection of the now-forgotten remake created the loyal following the original 1946 Jimmy Stewart version has enjoyed ever since.]

This particular year debuted a milestone in holiday specials. Burl Ives narrated a stop-action animation classic that has aired every year since). It was produced in color, but since most homes still only had black-and-white TVs, our family saw it like this for years.
(Side Note: I heard a DJ say the other day that "Holly Jolly" is the most-played needle-drop Christmas tune of 2006. I think Christmas music in general reflects our need for nostalgia, but unfortunately, it also reflects man's need for "secular alternatives" to the real meaning of Christmas. The Santa story poses some problems to some Christians. I understand that, and would even agree that the remake of "Miracle of 34th Street" and other Santa lore draw needless parallels between believing in Santa and true faith in Christ, This link postulates the anti-Santa case stronger than most. In our house it was just seasonal fantasy which I survived. I do think parents are wise to make a clear distinction fantasy and faith in the Christ of CHRISTmas.)

Our most enchanting experience was one our parents never saw. Every Christmas morning when we woke up before the appointed time to open presents, my sister Kathy snuck us into her room and passed the hour by reading The Story of Holly and Ivy from cover to cover. She was twelve at the time. Like all teachers-in-waiting, she loved to read aloud, and her voice had the rhythm of care and characters that pulled us forward as we listened. (That memory is still as warm as the baker's shed on page 36 where Ivy, the orphan in the story, spent Christmas Eve lost and alone.)

Imagine three brothers sitting on their sister's chenille bedspread enthralled by a story about a Christmas doll. It's a wonder we turned out at all.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

What precious memories... and what a special sister! Thanks for sharing.

3/12/06 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I watched both "A Christmas Carol" and "The Miracle on 34th Street"
this weekend,and "It's a wonderful Life last weekend". (All three were the black and white versions, naturally!). Also, I am currently reading "The Story of Holly and Ivy" to my students at school...some things simply must remain constant in our lives! Ahh! Tradition!!!!

(By the way I love Nancy! How decerning of her to think your sister was special and how gracious of her to say it!!!!)

4/12/06 1:51 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Hi, Kathy, my favorite big sister! It's good to know the story lives on. I'll make sure Nancy sees this message. She is a former teacher (NC) and her daughter is also a teacher.

4/12/06 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter