.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

At Grace

Sometimes…
it’s the little things
like putting in the extra leaf
and keeping window watch;
then taking covered dishes at the door;
and hugging through coats
that bring in winter’s air.
Staring fondly at the face
come furthest home;
laughing with the funny uncle
in the kitchen;
holding hands once large and small—
but ever more alike—
around the laden table;
and smiling at the changeless gaze
(framed on the far mantle)
of one not there to pray.
It’s the little things
that make Thanksgiving.
The tastes and smells
and long-awaited feast
at best are just
the garnish of the day.
It’s the enormity
of little things
providentially in place
that lumps our throats
and lifts our thoughts
…at grace.
.
© Copyright 2006, TK, Patterns of Ink
.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful sharing of thankful hearts in the weeks ahead.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Just lovely, you are so talented, and may you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

12/11/06 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is like you've been at the Thanksgivings at our house. We put two leaves in the table... I guess every family has "the funny uncle"? Is that you?

15/11/06 7:59 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I'm not saying I'm never funny, but I think that would be my brother Dave--although all my brothers enjoy making our family gatherings laugh. Thinking back to my own childhood Thanksgiving Days, I can still hear my Uncle Neal's mischievous "Oh-ho-ho..." laugh coming from the kitchen. It's nice to know that the avuncular line made a connection. Thanks for commenting.

16/11/06 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the poem...you've captured the emotions and feeling perfectly!

4/12/06 1:32 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Beautiful...this brought tears to my eyes!

19/11/07 10:36 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

How precious when we recognize that Thanks and Giving, those sweet sisters that tug smiles from mouths equally full of mashed potatoes and mirth, come to the table hand in hand. When we are grateful for God's abundant blessing, it bubbles up, compelling us to give of ourselves and all we have to share! This year our house had more friends than family but the lines blend so well a newcomer wouldn't have been able to tell which was which. WHICH, I believe, is precisely the point!

26/11/18 1:56 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Sam,
Due to "comment moderation" I did not see this until December 18. Thank you so much for adding delightful imagery to this special day. And here I will take risk and say to the other POI readers....
Friends, Sam wrote this on November 18. One month later (December 18) She had the greatest cause for GIVING THANKS that any parent can imagine. Please read about it here:
https://2beginwith.blogspot.com/2018/

18/12/18 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter