.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Monumental Match-up

Make no Mistake. For the Moment, on paper, Saturday's Match-up between #1 and #2 has cast the Most-revered rivalry in college football in Monumental proportions. It's not yet set in stone, but one Might predict that what is now Mystery May well be history in the Making. M Go Blue!

News Flash (Next day, Friday noon): Just when this game couldn't get any bigger...this sad news hit the day before:College Coaching Icon Bo Shembechler Dies

I met Bo Shembechler at a book-signing event two years ago. I purchased a signed copy for my brother Paul and another for myself. He was a surprisingly conversational guy as we chatted there at his tabel at Barnes and Noble. Until today, I didn't know he was the same age as my father (who died in 1995). It is hard to know whether this will become a "Win one more for the Gipper" moment for the Wolverines. I genuinely hope so...

...especially after learning of a concert tonight in Columbus, Ohio, featureing a local punk band named "The
Dead Schembechlers." In fairness to the crude waste of electricity and air this punk band represents, they named themselves before today's tragic news. The Freep just posted this story of how OSU fans are showing a rarely-seen touch of class, but they have not yet canceled the concert for tonight. [Sincere apologies for the vulgar anti-Michigan content of the last link to that punk band. ]

Update Early Saturday morning: The Freep article at the link was changed Friday afternoon and now tells a different story of how the punk band will never perform again under that title. Outside the music hall, they took down the words "Dead Schembechlers" on the marquee.They substituted the words, "God Bless Bo." Likewise the link to the Dead Shembechlers web page has been neutered. May it never function again! Some will no doubt call this a "classy move" by the band, but if you had seen their obscenely hateful webpage and read the lyrics of thier songs, you might question whether the band was capable of "class" or fearful that their woeful lack of it would have forever tarnished OSU's reputation before the watching eyes of the world on gameday. Either way, it's a win for Bo.
Saturday evening...
I realize blogs are supposed to "stack" in reverse chronological order, and had Michigan won, this would not doubt have been a new post on the top, but I guess I'll just keep ammending this thread. It was a good game. Michigan came up a field goal short. The chance for this to be a "win one for the Gipper" game the day after Bo Schembechler's death has passed, but perhaps redemption awaits in a rematch or a Rosebowl win for the "Victors Valiant."

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

As always your writing intrigues (SP??) me, I loved the last paragraph about wasting the time and ink. Your family must love your sense of humor. I did not know about the death but that is very sad timing. I hope your team wins. How long did it take you to do all of those "M's"?

17/11/06 4:10 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I got a phone message tonight from my brother Paul (the one I had Bo sign the book for). He called to make sure I had heard the sad news. I'll call him tomorrow before the game. He once went down to Columbus, Ohio, for an OSU vs. Michigan game. He told me it was a truly scary place for a Michigander to be. In the past, OSU fans have burned cars and rioted when they beat their arch-rival. There's no telling what might happen if they lose. But maybe the timing of this death will bring some sense to this old fued--no matter who wins. (BTW, the "Ms" are simply courier, large, bold, blue--it didn't take long =)

18/11/06 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter