.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, December 18, 2020

"Imagine That..." The Role of Fantasy in Childhood

I have written about the nature of creativity before (from a theological perspective) in a post called "Imago Dei," The role of imagination is very much a part of that process. The extent to which imagination and creativity are included in parenting, education, and life varies from home to home and even child to child. This is as it should be because "balance" in homes and institutions is achieved not when every individual is the same or is perfectly "on center" but when collectively our differences (and different gifts) balance each other out. 


Enjoying the functional interaction of our differences makes life more interesting. If the mix is right, with proper help, eight kids of very different weights can enjoy the ups and downs of a teeter-totter together. I digress... My point is that there is room for very different feelings about the role of  imagination and "make believe" in the stories we introduce in our homes and schools.

"Finding Cozy" includes an element of fantasy "somewhere between dreams and doubt," as the poem on the back cover suggests. At the risk of setting the bar too high,  I hope the story evokes some of wonder that prompted Kenny Loggins to begin singing songs like this after his children were born:  "Neverland Medley". Watch the children in the audience during the performance of "Return to Pooh Corner." Surely there is room for 'make believe" in childhood, and it is my belief that such WONDER nurtures our faith in things that truly matter.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter