.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Simple Hit in the Making

Every now and then I post a random music video that is probably not in the daily listening patterns of POI readers. But my youngest daughter Natalie played this song for me on the way to school last week. It got stuck in my head, and then I heard it a store, at Arby's, and some random places since then. Seems to be on its way to becoming a hit. It wouldn't be this band's first.

Last weekend my middle daughter was home for a quick two-day "fall" getaway. We went to Robinette's Orchard which is about a half hour drive. Natalie played this song in the car again. The scenes in the video above are places we go whenever we visit Kim in Chicago. It won't be long until there is snow on those streets as seen in those clips. Our forecast calls for a chance of flurries this weekend. I like snow, but I'm not ready for that. Not ready for that all.

Having taught English for many years, I can't help but point out the very clever use of the numbers in the title: 1-2-3-4. Listen to the beginning tempo count; then the "It's easy as one, two three...;" then the use of the numbers in the chorus. The first "1" is a numeric adjective: "one way,"; the second "2" is not a number but a preposition in the participle "to say"; "3" is again a numeric adjective: "three words"; then "4" is a preposition in the phrase "for you."

What a simple, clever lyric. Love is never as easy as 1,2,3, and the truest expression of those three words comes on the days not filled with the "feelings" that inspire songs, but still there is a place for simple feelings that help offset the aches and fears and risks of loving, just as there is a place for sweet cider as the beauty of autumn falls.

Chapter 33 in the works but no writing tonight. Tonight Nat's having a bunch of school friends over to watch the Tigers-Twins one-game play-off in the Metrodome.

6242

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Sorry about your Tigers! Not enough "hits in the making" for them over the past month.

7/10/09 9:22 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Stephen,
It was a great game and a fun time with a living room full of kids. You can relate to that scene. Based on the season and the last 20 games, I'd have to say the Twins did deserve it, but thanks for your consolation and clever play on the title of this post. =)

7/10/09 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter