.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Something's Missing...

I got up this morning, made some coffee, and sat down to wrap up chapter 14, which should be done soon. (But the battery on my laptop died and something is wrong with the plug so I'll have to resume at the desktop later on.) Meanwhile, Julie began a morning aerobic workout in the family room with the help of Bob Harper (No, we are not "Biggest Loser" fans--never watch the show--but we like Bob Harper's friendly motivational workout on the cable fitness channel.) I joined her in that sweaty endeavor 'til our heart rates were high and the clothes were damp, and thankfully the session was over. Ahh....

During the "cool down" I stood with my arms on my hips looking out the patio window (photo one). That lump in the lower-left is a rock fountain covered with a tarp that is covered with a foot of snow. The little maple behind it has white miniature lights in it, but they're not on. They've been there since the evening "garden parties" we had for both Emily's and Kim's graduation open houses. We light them up whenever we have evening gatherings out back--those are many months away.

I noticed something else in this picture and went upstairs to the living room (or parlor, as I've called it past posts), and sure enough I noticed the same fact while looking at our yard from this angle. (Photo two: That's the camper in the far corner of our yard parked in front of the covered trampoline. The lamp is an heirloom from Mom's living room. Just beyond it is the winged-back recliner where I was writing when my battery died.)
.
So I went to the front porch to see it what I saw (or didn't see) was true there as well, and "Sure enough," I thought with my mouth pursed off to one side. It was true everywhere I looked.

I wasn't looking at the vacant lot (the only lot without a house on it in the whole development). I wasn't looking at the broken split-rail fence that adds a nice touch to the tree line and always reminds me of Robert Frost's "Mending Wall." I wasn't looking at the drooping antler on the grape-vine deer standing under the canopied bush. (Those deer have served us well for many years, but they may just have to go come spring.)
.
What I was looking for was something else. Something that for most of our life with children was always true whenever we had a foot of snow on the ground for a solid month.

Before Em was married, before Kim went off to Chicago, before little Nat grew up and became a cheerleader at school. Back when we were all at home after 4:00PM most nights. Back when we were all hoping that the next batch of falling snow would be enough to cancel school. What I was looking for was always there before, for twenty playful years or more, but now (thus far) it isn't so. How strange to be this deep in winter without footprints in the snow.
.
Chapter 14 coming...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew where you were going with this because that is the first thing I didn't see when I looked at you photos!

31/1/09 5:08 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Quilly,
In all previous winters, the snow would be very "played in" by now. There might even be a snow man or two. But it's been a busy winter, (with two fewer girls than two years ago)and the temps were around zero for over a week. We just haven't felt like playing in the snow....yet. =)

31/1/09 8:16 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

"...those are many months away."

There was no need to add the MANY in there Tom.

I do believe that the print less snow is a simple break...when the time is right the house will be full of grandchildren to do the honors.

1/2/09 4:29 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Ah, Mark,
A man after my own heart. Yes, in good time that will be true.

Em and Keith, if you read this... no pressure. =)

As for those many months, I don't know about the Detroit area but over here they're predicting above average snow to continue. We're already over 60 inches this season. I don't mind snow.

1/2/09 1:00 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

Tom...I think we're at about 40" because we don't get lake effect and I don't mind snow either...in Alaska.

2/2/09 5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter