.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Speaking of Hibernation

I slept until 10:00 this morning without even knowing I was “sleeping in.” On Saturday, we usually sleep an extra hour or so (compared to weekdays), but I haven't enjoyed a "long winter's nap" in ages. Best yet it was totally guilt free. I almost feel “normal"--whatever that is. Julie and I enjoyed a nice “Cream of Wheat” breakfast and cup of coffee. There's just something about Cream of Wheat on a cold morning. After that, I surfed cable news and the web for the latest political developments, which prompted the series of posts soon to come.

Warning: I've waited as long as I can, and I'm about to put my toe in the precarious pond of politics, but don't worry... I'm making no endorsement, and I'll try not to change the tone of our on-going POI conversation. Just think of it as a neighborly chat among friends over a cup of coffee (or a bowl of Cream of Wheat).

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

10:00 a.m.??!!! What is that like? It has sure been awhile since I got to do that! Oh well, maybe in a few years, I am quite enjoying this season of my life. Most of the time anyway!

Gald things are starting to get back to "normal" even though it will never be quite the same. We are finding that out as time passes. There are still days when are trying to figure something out and we will say "dad will know" as if we could just call and ask him. We find this sad but yet we always laugh, how we could possibly "forget" something so profound? We are still praying for you guys. By the way, did you get your valentine from my Em? She made it just for you all on her own and told me to put some extra candy in there so I did. Is it possible we could sweeten you up more? Bet Julie has something to say about that!

Have a good weekend!
Julie in Michigan

23/2/08 8:11 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Julie in MI,
I know what you mean. We've already had those split seconds when we mention Mom or begin to think about "calling her" as if life has "rebooted" the way computers can be restored to the settings of a previous date. It feels strange when it happens.

Yes, I did get Emily's cute Valentine. I kept it in my office after eating the candy. Be sure she knows I liked it.

23/2/08 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, Old Chap,
Cream of Wheat, the poor man's Moroccan kus-kus, is not a good breakfast.
Try bacon and eggs, the country boy's delight.
Have the creamm of wheat on the side, as the Southerners like their Hominy.

It may change your whole outlook.

24/2/08 3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're having a "heat wave" here in So. Wisc.!! :-) Snow was actually melting this weekend. But alas..more is in the forecast coming tomorrow into Tuesday so you'll probably get the same following. :-(
Cream of Wheat...ugh! My DM would try to get me to eat that OR oatmeal as a kid and I couldn't stand either. I think it was a texture thing. Now as an older adult I'm "learning" to like the oatmeal. One can "embellish" it to make it more palpatable. :-)
As for the sleeping late...I can't seem to get much past 8:00 anymore. But remember the days when I could sleep the morning away. That was eons ago!! Can't wait to see what your posts will be re: the political! Mmmmmmm!?!
WSL

24/2/08 7:51 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Ivan,
It's been ages since you've dropped by--sorry it was so bland. Can't get much more bland than Cream of Wheat. =) I know it looks like grits, but I don't like grits as much as I do C of W. Nancy will probably correct me on that.

WSL,
I guess it's an acquired taste. I grew up having "hot cereal" every morning. We had a rotation of oat meal, Ralston, and Cream of Wheat. The Chicago chef who became the trademark of Cream of Wheat is buried here in Michigan. I would agree that oat meal is easier to "spice up." I like to add raisins and brown sugar.

24/2/08 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter