.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Is It Just Me?

Before I begin this post, I have to ask something…Is it just me or does everyone add lyrics to life’s little jingles? I just turned on my laptop, which runs Microsoft Windows, and heard those five notes that chime for all non-Mac users when their computer comes to life.
.
Though embellished with other tones, the five primary notes seem to say
“Wel-come-to-Win-dows.”

I’ve never heard these words uttered, of course, much less sung, and yet I hear them in my head as if those five notes are the “elevator ” version of the original short libretto written for robotic elves or angels. Likewise when closing Windows and those four other familiar notes fall trippingly through the air as my screen goes black, I can almost hear the words “Good-bye-for-now” in the notes.

Am I simply personifying hardware, putting words in its mouth so to speak… or did Bill Gates and Company successfully program both the software and its users to hear the same subliminal messages when they use Windows?

I suppose it’s possible that there are three kinds of Windows users in the world: (A) Those who do not hear the music [i.e. You’ve never really noticed the notes when you open Windows]? (B) those who hear the music, but the notes are just that… random notes; and (C) those who hear the notes and then imagine words that fit them. (Follow up question for this last group: Does everyone hear the same words or is it just me?) In which group are you?

You're probably shaking your head saying, “Tom, I'm in the group that thinks the words to the opening five notes are ‘Tom-has-gone-craz-ee’ and the closing four notes are ‘you-need-some-help.’”

Alright…alright… point well taken. Now let me see… what was I going to write about when I turned this thing on?
.
.
[P.S. I really will post something in a day or two... We've been home since late Monday night. It felt good to be back in the office at school, and while things don't quite feel "normal," it is great to be home.]

3 Comments:

Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I've been trying to catch up on a few of my favorite blogs. Seems I've missed out on so much. I offer my condolences for your loss. Your past posts regarding family were not only entertaining but very real and genuine.

On a different note, I see you've been doing some traveling. Good for you. I hope all else is well. As usual, my blog will self-distruct in a few days for work-related reasons. Take care.

16/2/08 12:21 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I hear the music but no words.That's weird because I am sure my oxygen machine is saying over and over "staty alive".

16/2/08 12:53 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

JRT,
Wow. It's been ages. Glad to see you're back in circulation. Thanks for stopping by. It has been a life-changing month for our family. In time, I hope to write a few more posts about my time in Thailand. I just watched a movie tonight about Cambodia called "The Killing Fields" (Heard of it through the years but I never saw it). The setting and people very much like the mountainous part of extreme northern Thailand where we were. Good to hear from you again.

Dr. John,
Your cheerful disposition makes me forget your circumstance. Once a pastor always a pastor. I like that about you. I'm glad to hear your oxygen machine is saying such encouraging words. =)

16/2/08 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter