.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Pictures from the Lahu and Acah Villages

In the Hill-Tribe Regions of Northern Thailand

I wish I had time to talk about these pictures. I'm here primarily to shoot video footage for a documentary of sorts about this on-going work with the hill-tribes of the Chang Rai Province in Thailand, but since I can't post video (yet), I sometimes change the setting on my video camera and grab a snapshot. There is so much to write about but so little time each day. I told my family I'd post a few pictures so they'd know that I'm meeting lots of wonderful people here. I wish I knew their language, but they respond very well to a smile.

The four kids (1st picture below) are standing in front of the thatch that was going on the new hut mentioned in the previous post (below) . The hut was done three hours later.

There are two reasons the people in some of these pictures look "serious." First of all, they are not used to a bearded white man pointing a camera at them. When they see the picture afterwards they laugh. The main reason, they look serious is that many of them were waiting to see the dentist. The children gather at the window to watch the "grown ups" get their teeth pulled. We don't do much dental work on children, but when we do they also look a little apprehensive. (The happy girl toward the bottom of this set was already missing her front teeth when we arrived, but I have some video of an older asking us to pull the two front teeth he had left. They were in the way and had grown very long from receding gums. He was very relieved to be without them. =) The older lady with the purple bandana could not walk but was carried on her daughter's back to the clinic for medicine.









































































































All Photos taken by T.K. © Copyright 2008 Patterns of Ink

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Oh their eyes are so telling... you really captured their emotions. My prayers are not only for you and your team, but also for the people that God places in your path. "Go ye therefore...." Great job, Tom!

25/1/08 2:04 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Those are fantastic pictures. I especially like the 4th one of the close-up of the little girl's eyes. :)

25/1/08 4:37 PM  
Blogger info@thebabymarketplace.com said...

Have a wonderful trip! Your pictures are great. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

25/1/08 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how well you captured the moments!! As I looked at the faces, I could remember the incidents and the emotion when the younger woman carried the older one into the meeting on her back. Great job, Tom.

13/2/08 11:04 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Joan,
You can't imagine how rewarding it is to get a comment from one of the fellow team members who was there with us in Thailand.
Folks, Joan is an experienced RN and veteran of this particular trip. She was in charge of triage and helped organize many other aspects of the trip. She stayed an extra week after the team left and just returned to the U.S. last weekend.

14/2/08 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, The old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" even seems to come up short when I view these awesome pictures. Thank you for capturing the windows to the souls of these very dear people! My favorites are the black and whites! WOW!

20/2/08 10:11 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Kathy,
I needed to see something here for our work on the video and just saw this comment over lunch. Here's something you may not notice. The lady holding up the #97 ticket is the same lady in the sepia photo with arms crossed waiting for her number to be called. Wasn't it something to watch the generations work together in those villages? In the first picture she has a child on her back; in the second she is alone and more pensive.

22/2/08 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter