.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

“He is Zabo
and other Unsung Songs
From Since I Don't Know When


I found an interesting site as I closed the post above. http://www.lifefebc.com/resources/midirhc.htm
It provides midi accompaniment to hundreds of hymns and chorus. Great hymns are there, full of doctrine and worthy to be discussed at length and remembered by the "the church." But the following are not selected on merit. If that were the case, there are scores of songs at the website that would rank far above these.

No, these songs below are here because I learned them at Calvary of Roseville and I simply haven't heard them "since I don't know when." There are dozens of choruses I remember from the 60's that aren't at this site. One of the more obscure titles is "Spread a Little Sunshine as You Go Along" (which Pastor Elmore, our choir director, used to parody with a verse about spreading peanut butter.)

Listen to the simple piano chords at the links below and see if every word doesn’t come right back to you after all these years…

His Name is wonderful: click here
The Lily of the Valley: click here
He Keeps me Singing: click here (This is not "He Keeps Me Singing a Happy Song." I wish I could find a link to that one.)
In My Heart There Rings a Melody: click here
Things are Different Now: click here
He's Able: click here

When my mom taught this last one to our young Catholic friends across the street, they thought we were singing "He is Zabo," as if worshipping some mysterious Greek god named Zabo. Every time they sang with us on our front porch or in our car, they'd smile and chime in. It took months for us to realize we had nearly converted them to Zaboism. (The fact that it was commonplace for my mom to have a porch-full of kids singing songs is another story in and of itself, which I hope to share here soon.)
.

1 Comments:

Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Yep, that's is what I'm talking about, Steve. I'd forgotten about "My Lord Knows the Way...", but I thought of another: "Fill My Cup, Lord." You did well for a youngster. :) Keep checking in....

23/6/06 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter