.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

The Proposal: 35 Years Ago This New Year's Eve

Thirty-five years ago This New Year's Eve, Julie and I sat in this exact same spot in this exact same room facing the exact same picture window that looks out on the exact same trees in the exact same pasture.

The trees outside the window have grown. The horses in the pasture have changed. The curtains on the widow no longer complement the crushed orange velvet couch that sat there through the Seventies. The couch, thank Heaven, was replaced, and the banister in the background is now a warm wood where cold wroght iron was on that night in 1980. But the couple sitting there on the far left cushion of the  couch that replaced the crushed velvet is the same, or should I say, they are the same two people.... if it is possible for people to be the same after thirty-five years.

That's how long it's been. Exactly thirty-five years this New Year's Eve. Late that night, after the church "Watchnight Service," we came back to Julie's house, and at about 1:00 AM, I proposed to Julie in the front room. I've written about it before here at POI.

There is another change in that living room in Waverly, Kansas. This change has also been true for nearly thirth-five years. On the wall to the right of the picture  window is a large framed portrait. It's a beautiful bride-to-be in her wedding dress.  I took this snapshot of it with my phone, and my reflection in the frosted glass created a soft glow around her.

The first picture was taken last week in Kansas. I plan to add to this post this evening....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter