.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

patterns of ink

How fruitless to be ever thinking yet never embrace a thought... to have the power to believe and believe it's all for naught. I, too, have reckoned time and truth (content to wonder if not think) in metaphors and meaning and endless patterns of ink. Perhaps a few may find their way to the world where others live, sharing not just thoughts I've gathered but those I wish to give. Tom Kapanka

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Michigan Shoreline, Midwest, United States

By Grace, I'm a follower of Christ. By day, I'm a recently retired school administrator; by night (and always), I'm a husband and father (and now a grandfather); and by week's end, I sometimes find myself writing or reading in this space. Feel free to join in the dialogue.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Perhaps the most inspiring Youtube minute
I have ever experienced
is the last half of this clip.


You may sometimes wonder what motivates me to write these chapters about one little ordinary family doing ordinary things. I'll tell you that one of my hopes is to leave a record of the way things were not long ago in hopes that one person at a time, one family at a time, we can reverse what has been happening in our society. My sister sent me this video today. It's brilliant and has given me hope that all is not lost for my children and their generation. Please read and watch every word of it.



A palindrome is a word or sentence that reads the same backwards as forward, like Hannah or "Was it a car or a cat I saw?" I would call this video an anti-palindrome; it reads the exact opposite backwards as forward. This video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old. The contest was titled "u @ 50" by AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause.

Please send this link to every young person you know and every older person who may have lost hope for the future.

The next chapter of Unsettled is in draft form and will be posted this weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger the walking man said...

If I thought that the media was correct in saying that them coming up on the world were a generation of slackers and acceptors of the norm I would not be working so much with so many of them.

If I knew any old poops who had given up hope I would send this but our generation is beginning to see that we too have to step up and at least begin to fix the ills we are leaving behind.

It is well past time for us to be less self centered and more community centric.

Good post Tom.

16/1/10 7:45 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Mark,
I was laughing as I read your thoughts and I thank you for them. The part of the video that was most encouraging to me was the fact that a young person (she is 20) was saying the "reverse" to her own peers, so to speak, and telling the nay-sayers when it comes to her marriage and her family, she refuses to be a statistic, that she will not take the "quick-fix" approach, that life is not about "my wants" or even my own happiness (and there the video misses the point a bit). Happiness may be a pursuit but joy persists through better or worse. That is learned first in the home. That is where I learned of the need for a verticle relationship with God and the various horizontal relationships with people around us (family, community, fellow bloggers, nation, global, etc.).

I think I was especially impacted because the "structure" of these written words demonstrates the very hope of reversal that the writer espouses. I've never seen or attempted to write an anti-palindrome before.

16/1/10 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Offshore Jones Act
Offshore Jones Act Counter